www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:13 pm 

Hi All,

At just a tad over 12-1/8 inches (30.5cm) this is rather small in comparison to the other Shree Tin Chandra blades that I have seen. For its small size, it has good balance and heft. The blade appears to be weapon 43 and appears to have been issued to the Dosra Raiphal battalion, unit 8. In addition to the above inscriptions, there are two characters scratched into the spine of the blade just above the ferrule. Perhaps the soldier's name? I would appreciate any efforts at translation. In addition to all of this, before the Shree Tin Chandra inscription, there are two lines of Western letters and numbers. The first line appears to be: 2 R R (the second R may be a B). The second line appears to be: 4 7 2. There is a superscript tic mark after each of the numbers on the second line. Does anybody have any idea what these letters and numbers represent? I will add another entry (Small For A Chandra Blade part 2) to add the photo of these letters and numbers. The butt of the hilt is broken and the breaks are very worn. A Devangari number 2 has been carved into the hilt. The hilt is also split and the split is held shut by a piece of wire that has been tightly twisted into a groove that has been cut into the hilt. No sheath. All in all, a very interesting khukri.

Sincerely,
Till

Attachments:
K 46c.jpg
K 46c.jpg [ 42.9 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]
K 46bs.jpg
K 46bs.jpg [ 57.37 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]
K 46as.jpg
K 46as.jpg [ 65.78 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 pm 

Hi All,

Here is the picture of the Western letters and numbers on the spine of the blade just before the Shree Tin Chandra inscription.

Sincerely,
Till

Attachments:
K 46d.jpg
K 46d.jpg [ 37.87 KiB | Viewed 296 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:58 pm 

Nice bhojpure style kukri Till!

Looking at the pics, I would guess the blade was shortened many years ago ... the length of the spine fullers against the length of the blade would imply that to me.

Great to have mixed set of markings, a kukri that obviously saw much use, possibly by various people in various units.

Spiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:05 am 

Hi Spiral,

Not so sure that the blade has been shortened. If it has, whoever did it knew what he was doing because not only the balance but also the aesthetic proportions of the blade (especially the cutting edge taper to tip) have been preserved. Note also that the width of the spine at the ferrule is just a tad over 3/16 (about 1 cm) wide which is commensurate with the overall blade size. What I would really like to know is, what do the markings before and after the Chandra/battalion/unit/weapon number designation say/stand for. The letters and numbers before the Chandra markings are western European (presumably British) and the Devangari after the Chandra markings may be the trouper's name. Could it be that the western European numbers and letters indicate that a RNA khukri was reissued by the British war office in WWI and/or WW II? If the Devangari after the Chandra markings is a person's name, what is the name?

Sincerely,
Till

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm 

HI Till,

Just wanted to say that the bottom character, the one closest to the bolster, is Pa. I don't know what that means, but I have seen that same character on many blades and I have a blade with that mark myself. I'll dig out some pictures later on.

It's been a long time since I did any translations, so I'll have to get back to you regarding the character above. Looks a bit like Pa-Ta, but there would be a vertical line missing between the top bar and the C shape. I'll take a closer look later, though you might get a better answer when Krishna drops in.

All the best

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:20 pm 

Here are some other blades with a similar mark (so we can rule out it being the soldiers name) and a link to a thread where these stamps were discussed a little more: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1213. No real conclusions though I'm afraid.

I know I said it was Pa, but I've got a vague memory of showing to a Nepalese relative who said it could also be "Wa/Oah" like Noah without the N. The symbols placed in this location seem to be unusually hard to translate, perhaps they were using some unique abbreviations/contractions?

Attachment:
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG [ 602.32 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Attachment:
Another first rifles Pa 23 longleaf 1.jpg
Another first rifles Pa 23 longleaf 1.jpg [ 114.11 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Attachment:
SPMil First Rifles Pa 23 1.jpg
SPMil First Rifles Pa 23 1.jpg [ 90.92 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Attachment:
Another longleaf inscription Pa 23.jpg
Another longleaf inscription Pa 23.jpg [ 24.49 KiB | Viewed 222 times ]

Afraid I can't be of any use with the European stamps.

All the best

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:07 pm 

Hi Paul W,

There is a vertical bar on the "ta" part of the engraving. It just isn't clear on the photo I took. Pa Ta Pa is what I came up with also but I don't have a clue as to what it may stand for. Since the example you show incorporates the Pa (or Wa/Oah) it probably had some significance to a quartermaster somewhere. Given the Chandra markings, the Pa Ta Pa markings, and the western European letters and numbers, I wonder how many times this blade may have been reissued. Thanks for the link to your blade. Your inscription appears to have the number 6 in it. The "R" looking character to the left of the 6 appears to be backward to the way Devangari is written. Do you have any idea what it may stand for?

Sincerely,
Till

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 pm 

Hi Till,

I thought the character was the number 2. I've just realised that I got my numbers back to front and captioned the pics as saying Pa 23, you are of course right, it's a 6 not a 3! The characters are the same on all the blades I had pics for, to my eye it looks like Pa 26.

All the best

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:39 pm 

You may be right Till,

it would be worth studying a lot of photos of Atlanta and ima kukri, to compare fuller to blade length... I didn't do that. Its not my kukri & your not a beginner at this game! But it might be worth doing? I certaly could be mistaken, I just thought " mmm that fuller looks rather long for that blade"..

If kami in Nepalese army in those days altered or re did a kukri blade, I doubt if anyone of us could see the work done... those kami pushed metal around like it was plastacine. It would be reforged like new...

RR doesn't appear as an abbreviation for either rank or unit in the British or Indian army until 1990.. If its an armoury or garrison mark its not one I can immediately recall.

Maybe its a Nepali designation done in Indian script after they started copying many things western? Its Just a thought... I Really can not provide any evidence... maybe Chris or Krishna will know more...

I know what I know & I know what I don't...

spiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 am 

Hi All,

Sorry for the tardy reply. I was dealing with a nasty March snowfall & its sequelae.
Paul W. I am sure that you are correct that the first character is a "2" not an "R". It was probably cut so simply because it had to be cut into steel. I got thrown off by some corrosion which appeared to complete the letter R. A second look with your response in mind allowed me to see correctly.
Spiral. Your idea that the Western letters & numbers being added by Nepalese armorers makes a lot more sense than the idea of a Nepalese blade somehow being stamped and reissued by the British.

Hopefully, more samples will become available for review plus some new historical information that will allow us to piece together the meanings of these additional marks.

Sincerely,
Till