www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Legit Mk II unmarked?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:29 pm 

Hi all, sorry to jump right in with my first post asking for info.
General edged weapons collector here in South Africa, and stumbled across a Kukri today that I need some advice on.
On my MK III I was able to research fairly well using the online resources. But with Photobucket screwing up just about every decent article on the entire internet, research has been a problem.

According to the source of this kukri, it was taken in North Africa during WW2. The owner is ex military, and I know him well, but he got it from the previous owner, so I regard stories as just that until proven otherwise.

Anyways, it has really nice age to it, and feel right. Things that I am unsure of are the scabbard. It is nicely aged wood, with steel? screws holding everything together, and a brass band around the throat.
I expect it wasn't originally like that, so I am wondering if this is the wooden core of a scabbard originally covered in leather?

The hanger is nicely done, and the rivets etc really scream military to me. With washers. But how would that have worked with a leather covered scabbard?

The other thing is that I can find no markings at all on the kukri anywhere. Nothing at all.
I could go on describing what I see, but I'll rather let pics do the talking.
Hoping this is a legit WW2 one..maybe private purchase or....?

Really appreciate any advice at all.

Attachments:
IMG_4605.JPG
IMG_4605.JPG [ 243.77 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
IMG_4604.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG [ 137.19 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
IMG_4603.JPG
IMG_4603.JPG [ 105.89 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:07 pm 

Hi there!

Looks ww2 military to me as well, the scabbard is a known type from some of the emergency issue type kukris from mid..ww2.

Perhaps your mk.2 was rushed out at same time, it doesnt look like the private purchase examples...

Nice!

spiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:12 pm 

Thanks. Will post more pics tomorrow.
Would the scabbard have been leather covered?
Find the lack of any markings odd.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 am 

Few more pics..

Attachments:
MKIIa.jpg
MKIIa.jpg [ 68.44 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]
CNRkLTe.jpg
CNRkLTe.jpg [ 59.6 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]
FxM9Khy.jpg
FxM9Khy.jpg [ 103.96 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:28 pm 

Hi .lovely kukri and Scabbard .no they didnt have leather covering. Quite a unique style of scabbard .
Do you have a full overall pict of the kukri .not all Mk2 kukri were stamped .and as Spiral said maybe rushed out in a hurry .
Regards
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:23 pm 

Thanks.. Here you go.
So it is confirmed to be a WW2 MK II?
I have to confirm by the weekend if I am purchasing it from the current owner..a friend of mine. I like it a lot, but obviously need to learn a lot. It would go well with my Mk III though, if all is ok.
Appreciate the assistance so far.

Attachments:
IMG_4614.JPG
IMG_4614.JPG [ 100.18 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]
IMG_4613.JPG
IMG_4613.JPG [ 83.96 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 pm 

Defo a ww2 mk .i think the scabbard is rarer than the kukri tho .usually belongs to a Siraj kukri .very rare indeed as are the scabbards .im trying to compare the kukri with some of mine .see if any are similar.worth getting tho .
Highlander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 am 

Found the online pic of that Siraj Kukri. Wow....that is damn interesting. The scabbard is the same one indeed.
Obviously the knife is different, but the story about this being used in North Africa needs more research. I'll chat to the owner.
But the scabbard seems made for the knife I have..perfect fit. Guess I'll have to try and find out more about its history. You are right...the scabbard seems to be the prize here. Can't find much info on these on the net though. Is there any reference book with more info?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm 

Very nice Kukri and I hope you bought it! I haven't personally seen a scabbard like that before, but typical British military rivets holding the leather loop on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm 

Have now purchased it.
I think it needs more research, as the scabbard is definitely the one that came with the Siraj kukri. And from what I can see, this blade was with this scabbard for a long time..possibly original to it.
Going to see what I can find out. Any info on the Siraj kukris is welcome, and especially use by Spec Forces?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 pm 

I think a couple of other manufacturers other than Siraj used these scabbards as well, but they were all strong but roughly made kukris.

The national army museum suggest that style may have been made in railway yards...... For emergency issue, the kukris blades are similar in size and shape to mk.2 That was probably the design they were copying......For better or worse.

They are rar.... I did say it was nice.... :wink:

Many kukri were carried by many men, it was a smorgasbord of mixed kukri & units at that time.....

spiral