www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:10 am 

I am new member. Try to catch up and learn more from your experience. I am not new to kukri. Back in the 80s kukri was ban in my conutry but not now (however blade length >30cm; permit needed). I had waited for 30+ years for this moment.

Can someone advice who (IMA or AC) still hold a better stock of military kukri from the Royal Nepalese arsenal? Who can give me a better chance of buying a decent kukri considering so many years had gone since it first debut?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:25 pm 

Welcome, What country are you in?

There no guarantees of quality with either firm, its random pot luck, if your lucky..

Id guess karda and chakmak more likely to be original from ima, but thats just a guess...

Buying of dealers and collectors further down the line should at least give you photos, of what your getting, but will cost more, of course not all dealers or collectors photograph every part either.

But good luck on your search!

Spiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:59 am 

Thanks Spiral!

I am from world most strict country...... Singapore! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm 

Indeed! mmmm Probably a few old kukri locked away on army bases there... certainly some renowned antique kriss dealers based there as well I believe?

spiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:14 am 

I’m also speaking to ACC and somewhat confused about the connection with IMA, I asked ACC how they are connected and ACc said that IMA sometimes buy stock from them.

Below is quoted from Ben Judkins which has some great info

All of that changed in 2003 when International Military Antiques (IMA) partnered with Windlass Steelcraft (better known in the west by the name of their American subsidiary, Atlanta Cutlery (AC)) to buy the Royal Nepalese Arsenal, which was located at the palace of Lagan Silekhana in Katmandu, Nepal.

See for full details - https://chinesemartialstudies.com/2012/ ... kukri/amp/

So the question is who held the balance of what came from Nepal in 2003 ACC or ImA, the above would say ACC as the author visited them 4 times, and who today still has items from this haul i’m Going to assume ACC based on them having them in their warehouses.

I’m probably going to buy from ACC as well and test the waters a little, I know I am 14 years late to the party but life has to bring some luck. ACC did say they do not so hand select anymore so it is going to be pot luck, let’s hope the person picking them that day is on a good mood !!

As a FYI - Singapore law is a little odd, they have a non controlled and controlled list of items on the police web site , some are funny like any toy gun or anything that looks like ammo, even empty shells, had friends nearly locked up on the way back from Thailand as their Son had an empty shotgun shell !!. But Kukris and diving knives are fine, but double edged blades aren’t so no daggers please.

https://www.police.gov.sg/~/media/spf/f ... .pdf?la=en

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:30 pm 

IMA also have warehouse full. no one other than those involved will know who had what , and what no one ever saw.

Trying to guess the inside out of that deal or the company's business connections will just leave you making random speculations.

But its fun to guess!

Spiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 am 

I’ll let you know once I made the order and it’s arrived :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:52 pm 

My order is sitting with customs in Coventry, not sure how Long it will take to work out import tax on my order.

Anyone had the same issue ?

Cheers,
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 pm 

Could take up to 5 or 6 days at customs .
Not the quickest Scott .
Im waiting on one myself
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm 

Parcel Force sent me a letter today asking for more information - invoice details etc.

It mentions that antiques are sometimes excluded from import duty - has anyone had this confirmed when purchasing from ACC or IMA, ~100 years old in my book would qualify, but I assume that’s down to HMRC ?

Cheers
Scott.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:26 pm 

Hi Scott i always ended up paying duty on mine from IMA.wasnt much tho £15 if i can remember .
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm 

If seller declares item as antique 100 year old collectible on package, it should be zero tax I think.{Was a few years ago anyway... :roll: }

But holding discussions/arguments with customs and excise about due duty on potential weapons is like throwing bricks in the air and head butting them as they come down..

Impressive in its tenacity & courage, but probably not very wise generally... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm 

That’s sound advice.

Thanks,
Scott.