www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm 

I have just this moment received more information regarding the original owner.
The kukri belonged to;
Private James Wallington 33866 of the Welsh Regiment 9th Battalion. He fell in the Battle of the Somme on the 2nd December 1916 and is buried in Heuze Court Churchyard.
It is unclear as to when he got this kukri or where.
His Death penny is still at the dealers and I hope to buy it soon, I think it would be nice to keep them together.
I will try and find out more about him soon. He was a private not an Officer as previously thought I have checked with the CWGC and have found out the details of his death but I will now try and dig into his short life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:43 pm 

You must be pleased!

spiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 pm 

Spiral wrote:
You must be pleased!

spiral

I am very pleased to be able to document this kukri now as "WW1 Wallington 33866"

After a quick search I been able to find this much;

First Name: James
Surname: Wallington
Birth Town: Ogmore Vale, Glamorgan
Resided Town: Bridgend
Nationality: British
Date of Death: 02/12/1916
Fate: Died
Service Number: 33866
Duty Location: France And Flanders

Welsh Regiment during World War 1
Since 1815 the balance of power in Europe had been maintained by a series of treaties. In 1888 Wilhelm II was crowned ‘German Emperor and King of Prussia’ and moved from a policy of maintaining the status quo to a more aggressive position. He did not renew a treaty with Russia, aligned Germany with the declining Austro-Hungarian Empire and started to build a Navy to rival that of Britain. These actions greatly concerned Germany’s neighbours, who quickly forged new treaties and alliances in the event of war. On 28th June 1914 Franz Ferdinand the heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne was assassinated by the Bosnian-Serb nationalist group Young Bosnia who wanted pan-Serbian independence. Franz Joseph, the Austro-Hungarian Emperor (with the backing of Germany) responded aggressively, presenting Serbia with an intentionally unacceptable ultimatum, to provoke Serbia into war. Serbia agreed to 8 of the 10 terms and on the 28th July 1914 the Austro-Hungarian Empire declared war on Serbia, producing a cascade effect across Europe. Russia bound by treaty to Serbia declared war with Austro-Hungary, Germany declared war with Russia and France declared war with Germany. Germany’s army crossed into neutral Belgium in order to reach Paris, forcing Britain to declare war with Germany (due to the Treaty of London (1839) whereby Britain agreed to defend Belgium in the event of invasion). By the 4th August 1914 Britain and much of Europe were pulled into a war which would last 1,566 days, cost 8,528,831 lives and 28,938,073 casualties or missing on both sides.

The Regiment raised 36 Battalions and was awarded 71 Battle Honours and 3 Victoria Crosses losing 8,360 men during the course of the war.

9th (Service) Battalion
Sept 1914 Formed at Cardiff as part of the Second New Army and then moved to Salisbury Plain to join the 58th Brigade of the 19th Division then moved to Basingstoke.
Jan 1915 Moved to Weston-super-Mare and then Perham Down.
July 1915 Mobilised for war and landed at Havre and engaged in various actions on the Western Front including;
The Action of Pietre; diversionary action during the Battle of Loos
The Battle of Albert, The attacks on High Wood, The Battle of Pozieres Ridge, The Battle of the Ancre Heights, The Battle of the Ancre.

Private J Wallington 33866 Died on the 2nd Dec 1916

I am thinking of buying the Death Plaque and framing it with the kukri. I am going to see if the family would be kind enough to talk to me and see where that goes.
I am not sure what other searches I can do and would very much like to hear what people think I can do to try and find out more about this gent.
I was surprised that he was not an officer as thought, but it just goes to show how quick information can be lost or corrupted, The dealers original thoughts about extra medals was in fact the Death plaque (complete with cardboard sleeve). James was awarded the Victory medal and the war medal only. These were not sold with the kukri so I can't bring them together again.
Of course all this does not tell us how he came by the kukri, it could have been in the line, behind lines or any number of ways. It may prove interesting to see if they served alongside Gurkha regiments leading up to this Gents final days.
Many thanks for all help and ideas.
David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:41 pm 

"The dealers original thoughts about extra medals was in fact the Death plaque (complete with cardboard sleeve). "

Personally Id want to speak with the family to get confirmation, before going forward, arms dealers old or new can have their own agendas....

Spiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 pm 

Spiral wrote:
"The dealers original thoughts about extra medals was in fact the Death plaque (complete with cardboard sleeve). "

Personally Id want to speak with the family to get confirmation, before going forward, arms dealers old or new can have their own agendas....

Spiral

Sound advice. I am pleased with details so far and I am hopeful of getting the details of the family so I can speak with them. I must say all the information was freely given and the thought of buying it has only come to my mind afterwards.
I will keep adding what turns up about Private Wallington

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:24 pm 

"It is unclear when he got the Kukri or where".....I'm curious about the whole grouping in general and, in particular, how an em's effects were returned to the family. In such a mess as was the Western Front I'm surprised anything made it back or that anyone would be conscientious enough to tend to it. According to what I've read, the Indians and Gurkhas did not fare well in the winter and were sent to other theatres of operation after about 1915 or so. Did the soldier bring this item back while on leave or did they have the capacity back then to mail things? Just thinking out loud here and curious as well.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:43 pm 

Hello all
I must thank Beater from British Blades and the kind folks over at Great war forum for the following information.

Pte James Wallington 33866 of the 9th Bat Welsh Reg joined his unit on the 2nd Dec 1915, He fought at Albert,High Wood,Pozieres Ridge,Ancre Heights and Ancre during the Somme campaign as part of 58 Brigade of 19 Division.
He Died on the 2nd Dec 1916 exactly a year after arriving in Flanders, As yet I don't know how he died but it would have been from an illness or accident. He and his unit were out of the line and training at the time of his death. He is Buried at Heuzecourt Churchyard in Flanders France this is some miles behind the front line in the Somme region.
Just before his arrival his unit were involved in in a diversionary attack at Pietre for Loos Sept 1915,fought with the Indian Corps. Only a short association as the Indians moved off out of France some time after,so he might have been the beneficiary of a local souvenir deal.

I have applied for a copy of his Death cert to see how he in fact die.
He had a brother Robert Wallington and I have found a R Wallington in the same Reg and he left a wife and 4 kids.
I have now got his memorial plaque or Dead man's Penny and I have just got a period wood frame for it so it can hang next to his kukri.

I think I have got about as much as it is possible to find out about James and am happy to have done so.
This has been a very moving experience researching this gent who made the ultimate sacrifice, many thanks to everyone who has helped me.
These two pieces will will hang together once again in honour of one of the many many young lives lost in the Great war.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm 

Bravo Capt., very nice work!

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:04 pm 

Fantastic deal all around Captain! Matching the khukuri with the history and bringing it all together is rare. Your idea to put the pieces together in a frame is excellent. I've put some thought into doing the same with the Bazaar/PP Mk. II I purchased which belonged to a US "Hump" pilot. He passed in the '60s due to a heart attack and the family didn't seem to have a real concern for his history. His son sold the khuk to a military surplus store. I think this research and putting the items together for remembrance and display is the most respectful thing you could possibly do. Please provide us with an update when you get it all finished. Thanks and take care.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:58 pm 

Nice old kuk and interesting background Captain, well done!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:39 pm 

Hi gents I just thought I would show and share my display solution for James's kukri.
A friend of mine is a fabricator and kindly listened to my witterings and shoddy drawings and came up with this display stand.
It is I think wonderful. It is outside now to "weather" in.
As a footnote to James's story I have a copy of his death certificate and it appears he was suffering with an illness and "His heart failed"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:23 pm 

Poignant display...

Spiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:19 pm 

Nice display stand Captain, certainly something a bit different and rather fitting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 pm 

Thankyou gents, I was looking to create a fitting display for a lovely kukri from one of the many and to remember the man.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:54 pm 

Stand looks a better now it is weathered in a bit. (and a better exposure helps)