www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Papu marked kukri
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:46 pm 

mmm Interesting Paul, if we had fuller length as well as blade length for a few of them... It was just my first reaction.

Here mine with what Rawson & many Victorean to WW1 Gurkhaswould have described as the Cliterous of kali kaudi. {Me to! :lol: }

The specs are...

Total Length: 50cm
Length of Blade: 40.5 cm
Length of Handle: 9.8 cm {inc. flat ring of bolster.} 9.4cm just timber.
Drop: 10.8 cm
Spine @ bolster: 9mm
@ belly: 8mm
@ tip: 3mm {@25 mm from point.]
Weight: 846 grams
Belly depth: 7.8cm
Fuller length. 15.5cm

spiral

Last edited by Spiral on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:02 pm 

Nice! 8)

From the photo's it looked to have an unusually large blade, it turns out it is bigger than any in the samples we have so far. I think this is accentuated by the short handle. It really is an impressive and imposig kukri. This was the size I was really hoping for. It's amazing the difference a few cm here and there makes (as the Actress said to the Bishop, etc...)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:26 pm 

Paul W wrote:
Nice! 8)

From the photo's it looked to have an unusually large blade, it turns out it is bigger than any in the samples we have so far. I think this is accentuated by the short handle. It really is an impressive and imposig kukri. This was the size I was really hoping for. It's amazing the difference a few cm here and there makes (as the Actress said to the Bishop, etc...)

Thank you! I must admit I always think mines probably the nicest Ive seen. 8) :o :shock: :oops: :lol:

But didn't realise It comes in larger than all those we have details off. :twisted:

It is imposing indeed, I fell in love with it on sight on that sunny Kathmandu morning.

It does seem more to have that .shark or killer whale shape to it as well.

I guess the ones the locals looted out during the deacsesion of the Royal armoury's were good ones! Or I was just lucky! Especially as Simon turned it down about 1.25 seconds before I bought it! :lol: I was on it like a pit bull crossed with a grey hound! I couldn't believe he had said no!

spiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:38 pm 

Looking at these mine seem to have a massively deep riccasso area? which alters the whole appearance as well.

spiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:30 pm 

lovely pieces gentlemen:-)

Paul - very good to see your collection growing quickly and the absorption of knowledge is impressing:-)

the spine marking of devanagi letters and numbers (not te Shree 3 chandra) is often found on the pieces stored by the Military Arsenal, when exactly this was done is still unknown...many of the pieces found in the various Museums in Nepal have similar markings.

Ill have a look at the translation and possible units later the week:-) the old Deva nagri script is sometimes not as easy as it first seems and would hate to make a mistake:-0

Spiral - The papu of Papus:-) speechless!

a few snaps of my own below:-)

will compare these to other Nepal army Kukri knifes, i.e those with lion/sun stamp and those from the Coat Of Arms style t find some similarities...

Best of luck and thanks for keeping the discussion ongoing:-)

yours,
Krishna

Attachments:
File comment: papu khukuri kukri army
DSC_0825-imp.jpg
DSC_0825-imp.jpg [ 47.98 KiB | Viewed 1054 times ]
File comment: papu kukri khukuri knife
DSC_0822-imp.jpg
DSC_0822-imp.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 1054 times ]
File comment: papu kukri nepal army
DSC_0823-imp.jpg
DSC_0823-imp.jpg [ 124 KiB | Viewed 1054 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:58 pm 

Many thanks Krishna!

I'm really pleased with this piece now that I've had it for a few days, a translation of the inscription would be the icing on the cake. I notice your Papu kukri has a nice long handle, do you know the length? It would be interesting to compare stats if you have the time.

Spiral wrote:
Looking at these mine seem to have a massively deep riccasso area? which alters the whole appearance as well.

spiral

You're quite right Spiral, that riccasso is much bigger than most of the other examples. Ben's example D has a similarly large riccasso (and the same kaudi type too). Your Papu kukri certainly does have a unique look to it. Simon must have regretted turning that beauty down! was it covered in grime and rust or something? Still, one man's loss is another man's spectacular gain :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:45 pm 

Its in the same condition as I got it. He said he didn't like that it looks like a big fish. I think he just wanted standard longleaves, he bought 3 or 4 of those, all were the same price PAPU or Longleaf.

I think the ricasso, bolster & front diameter of hilt create the look with mine. perhaps the depth of blade belly & the upper curvature as well.

spiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:29 pm 

Wow, I guess one of my few latin phrases applies in this case: De gustibus non est disputandum (No accounting for taste!)

If I haven't already said enough good things about it; it is hands down the most impressive longleaf type kukri I've ever seen! It does have the look of a shark or killer whale and to me is the very definition of a big bellied kukri/Budhune/Budhume if we consider those terms legitimate (though I suspect that we don't)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:54 pm 

Paul W wrote:
If I haven't already said enough good things about it; it is hands down the most impressive longleaf type kukri I've ever seen! It does have the look of a shark or killer whale and to me is the very definition of a big bellied kukri/Budhune/Budhume if we consider those terms legitimate (though I suspect that we don't)

Big belly seems legitimate to me? How much its used in Nepal I have no idea, but I am sure they would understand the term... A kukri with a big belly!

But no, you haven't said enough good things about it yet! :lol:

Carry on! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:49 am 

I want a Papu! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:24 pm 

:lol: I'm running low on superlatives!

I'd also heard the term chauropate for the broad blades, but I suppose that means broad leaf rather than big belly. As the Thais say "same same, but different"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:51 pm 

My Papu: Blade 39 cm, handle 12 cm incl bolster, weight just under 1 kg.

the translation I'm still working on as its a rare combination to me...of nja+pra....njpra?
will meet with my uncles in about a week and look at it again:)

cheers, krishna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:24 pm 

Thanks for the measurements Krishna!

And a very sincere thank you for your translations and excellent research. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:22 pm 

Spiral wrote:
I may be wrong Paul, but comparing the fuller to blade length & the shape I think it was probably slightly damaged & reground, historically by a Nepalese army employed Kami

Just to add to Spiral's accurate observation, on closer inspection I have been able to identify the damage and reground area:

The two blue lines mark the area of the blade that has been reground. The damaged area is marked in red, this entire area is rippled and has three impact points marked with the red x's.

So at some point this kukri impacted at it's sweet spot with something thin and hard three times. I'd like to think it was another blade, but could easily have been a nail stuck in some timber for all I know.

Last edited by Paul W on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:14 pm 
Staff

Paul W wrote:
So at some point this kukri impacted at it's sweet spot with something thin and hard three times. I'd like to think it was another blade, but could easily have been a nail stuck in some timber for all I know.

Or barbed wire, perhaps.

Attachment:
barbed wire.jpg
barbed wire.jpg [ 338.51 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next