www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Papu marked kukri
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:25 am 

I think you've identified the most probable scenario there Berkley, many thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:23 pm 

Second kukri of 2015, and finally, a Papu to call my own!!

Sadly the spine markings have been partially obliterated, but still visible. My blade also seems to have been in contact with something not dissimilar to barbed wire, but nobody has bothered to reprofile it.

Also, no sign of there ever having been a butt plate...

Nevertheless, its a Papu, and I am very pleased with it!!

Attachments:
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG [ 66.5 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]
IMG_5063.JPG
IMG_5063.JPG [ 155.23 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]
IMG_5064.JPG
IMG_5064.JPG [ 64.36 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:34 pm 
Staff

Excellent find!
Very interesting design of the kaudi, too. 8)
Attachment:
cho rten.jpg
cho rten.jpg [ 208.92 KiB | Viewed 611 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:24 am 

Well done Chris, Good observation Berk!

As an aside, I don't regard the removal of inscription as bad with these, {all though it would be nice to have it. :wink: } as it was clearly done to the majority of these while still in military service.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:10 am 

Nice one Chris! It didn't take you long to track one down then. :)

Do you think it might have had a full re-handle, or does it just look like the butt plate was never fitted?

I wonder if they all had the same spine markings originally? I can see the remnants of two parallel lines on mine that match up roughly with those on Chris' and on Ben's intact example. :

In fact the remnants on Chris' match pretty well to the visible characters on Ben's. It would be fascinating to get the full translation.

EDIT: Ben already posted the translation for this kukri, but I've only just spotted it. So, it reads: “Three Shree Chandra First Rifles [battalion] 2138 [weapon number].” The First Rifles were raised in 1850 and saw action in WWI and on the northwest frontier during the 1917 Wazirsthan war.

Perhaps that's the Battalion they all came from? Would certainly help to have more than one translation.

Last edited by Paul W on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:51 pm 

Lovely find Chris. I bet you are really chuffed.
Is it fresh to the market? I hope it was then it proves that there are still some out there. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I will add one of these iconic kuks to my shelves.
Again nice find.

Captain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:30 pm 

Paul W wrote:
Nice one Chris! It didn't take you long to track one down then. :)

Thanks Paul! Pleased to join the club! I was very lucky to stumble upon this one by chance, I have been hunting for quite some time!

Paul W wrote:
Do you think it might have had a full re-handle, or does it just look like the butt plate was never fitted?

If its a refit it is a very good job, and the wear seems consumerate with the age of the rest of the kukri. Could you post up a picture of your butt (the Papu!) showing a side on view and the cap area?

Paul W wrote:
I wonder if they all had the same spine markings originally? I can see the remnants of two parallel lines on mine that match up roughly with those on Chris' and on Ben's intact example. :

In fact the remnants on Chris' match pretty well to the visible characters on Ben's. It would be fascinating to get the full translation.

I must admit the same thought had entered my mind too, but you illustrated it much better than I could have done! If indeed they are all to the same unit, it would reinforce the small unit purchase theory nicely. Has Ben's example been translated?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:39 pm 

Captain wrote:
Lovely find Chris. I bet you are really chuffed.

Thanks Captain! Yes indeed, chuffed to bits!

Captain wrote:
Is it fresh to the market? I hope it was then it proves that there are still some out there. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I will add one of these iconic kuks to my shelves.

Yes, fresh to the market. All these things are still out there, and will wander across your path at some point. I am a firm believer in patience and luck. Sooner or later, it'll come to you, if you want it badly enough!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:54 pm 

[quote="mrcjgscott"][quote="Captain"]Lovely find Chris. I bet you are really chuffed. [/quote]

Thanks Captain! Yes indeed, chuffed to bits!

[quote="Captain"]Is it fresh to the market? I hope it was then it proves that there are still some out there. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I will add one of these iconic kuks to my shelves. [/quote]

Yes, fresh to the market. All these things are still out there, and will wander across your path at some point. I am a firm believer in patience and luck. Sooner or later, it'll come to you, if you want it badly enough![/quote]

I must admit that I have been blessed by excellent kukri karma so far. I have kukris on my wall which a few years ago I would only have dreamed of.

Captain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:28 pm 

mrcjgscott wrote:
Could you post up a picture of your butt (the Papu!) showing a side on view and the cap area?

Here you go:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 am 

Recently spotted this interesting Papu. Unusually, it has a white metal bolster and horn handle.

Do you gents think that this is another example of these blades being maintained and adapted over time to keep them in service? Or do you think it could have been made this way originally, perhaps an Officer grade version?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 pm 

Well spotted Paul!!

It is indeed an interesting piece. Had it not been for the partially removed regimental markings, I would have said it was an officers Papu. However, I believe, given the grip size, and good quality fit and finish, that it is a remounted blade, either as a presentation or just somebody with an eye for a good quality blade.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 pm 

Well done Paul!

Its funny I just found that yesterday on there site... marked as sold! & just signed in to post it here!

Id guess a Nepalese re.handling job as well, Generally Only post WW2 to use white metal or brass for bolsters in Nepal.

spiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:44 pm 

mrcjgscott wrote:
Had it not been for the partially removed regimental markings, I would have said it was an officers Papu.

Good observation Chris.

Spiral wrote:
Its funny I just found that yesterday on there site... marked as sold! & just signed in to post it here!

It'd already sold when I spotted it a few days earlier, otherwise I might have two of these in my collection!

Spiral wrote:
I'd guess a Nepalese re.handling job as well, Generally Only post WW2 to use white metal or brass for bolsters in Nepal.

Thanks for adding to the picture Spiral.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:19 am 

I was searching through some old posts, hunting for something else, and found this Papu from member sta94, which has an interesting Kaudi....

Attachments:
PapuKaudi.jpg
PapuKaudi.jpg [ 74.66 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next