www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:14 pm 

Hello Gents,

I just picked up my first kukri of the year. I nice Nepalese longleaf with an inscription on the spine.

I bought it at auction having only seen a blurry pic. I really liked the shape of the blade and the horn handle looked very nice so I threw in a bid. As is often the case, when I picked it up there were a number of issues that were hidden in the pic. So the handle is cracked and the scabbard is a bit patchy. Plus what looked like patina in the pic, turned out to be red rust. Still, if I'm honest, cleaning up slightly rusty and rough kukri is the part of the hobby I enjoy most.

Anyway, here are some picks and stats:

It's a partial tang.

This is the inscription on the spine (which is seriously thick!). I know the numerals are 2 and 6 but I haven't yet found a match for the symbol above.

Whoever previously owned this kukri liked to keep it sharp :shock: This is the sharpest kukri I've ever held, including 4 modern kukri that were freshly sharpened. The paper I'm cutting is damp magazine paper that's been sat in my shed for months.

In fact it's so sharp it's an accident waiting to happen. I may even blunt it. Any advice on how to do that without damaging the edge too badly?

Here are the stats:
Overall length: 45cm
Blade length: 35.7cm (exactly 14")
Arc: 37.5
Handle: 9.3cm
Belly: 7cm
Drop: 9cm
Spine thickness @ bolster: 12mm!
@ belly: 9mm
@ tip: 3mm
Weight: 759g

It's a beast! definitely the scariest kukri in my collection.

Comments most welcome, translation help even more welcome! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:17 pm 

What a nice way to start 2015 Paul. It is a great example yep a little conservation but that has never put you off before.
As for the edge I would caution against flatting it off it is after all an edged weapon. I know it could hurt but if it is less sharp that accident will still happen and the resulting cut will be worse to sew up.
A fine large Nepali war kuk with great markings.

Captain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:54 pm 

That's a Lovely one! Please don't blunt it, there meant to be shaving sharp! {Especially if a weapon.}

Soaking the handle in baby oil will probably close up the hair line cracks.

Spiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:28 pm 

Ok gents, no blunting.

I've stashed it safely away in the loft for now. I see your points, but I can vividly imagine one of my mates picking it up for a closer inspection and slashing themselves to the bone on what is essentially a 14 inch, 750g, razor-blade. Perhaps a perspex box is in order. :idea: :lol:

I'll start the oil soak tomorrow, let's hope it helps. Cheers Spiral.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:03 pm 

This one of mine has the same inscription;
Attachment:
W+P Kukris 012 (380x193).jpg
W+P Kukris 012 (380x193).jpg [ 150 KiB | Viewed 1192 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:47 am 

So it does Dave!

Is that the 50cm monster kukri you picked up at the War & Peace festival? It'd be great to get a translation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 am 
Staff

dodgydave wrote:
This one of mine has the same inscription

As does this one, currently being offered on eBay.
Attachment:
eBay kukri marhings.png
eBay kukri marhings.png [ 767.17 KiB | Viewed 1152 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:13 pm 

Many thanks Berkley. I even had that kukri on my watch list and I hadn't spotted the script.

It's a twin of Dave's one, separated by only two other kukri. Same unit character then 8/22 (eBay) and 8/25 (Dave). Surely their owners knew each other.

I wonder why mine has the horn handle and just the Cπ 2 6 inscription? Officer's kukri? Post military service civilian revamp? I guess I'll never know.

EDIT: I've been looking at some Devanegari script and that symbol looks a lot like Pá

Also the 'shree tin chandra...' script on both Dave's and the ebay kukri match exactly with the Papu marked kukri owned by Ben and The Double D. Ben translated the unit character as meaning "First Rifles" So clearly not everyone in the First Rifles was lucky enough to be issued with a Papu. Perhaps they were just for the unit with the "Nja"+"Pra" fusion symbol?

I'll try to put some pics together to illustrate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:01 pm 

Excellent observations & deductions Paul! I Look forward to the next instalment!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:02 am 

Cheers Spiral!

Here are the inscriptions on the eBay kukri and then daves'.
Oh and here’s the Pa symbol I found Image it looks very similar.

Now here are three Papu inscriptions:
The DoubleD's, Shree tin Chandra Rifles 1/23
Heatseaker's, Shree tin Chandra Rifles 3/22
Ben's, Shree tin Chandra Rifles 2/38
and another example posted by Heatseaker that appear's to be on a Papu, though I can't be 100% it isn't mismatched (in the other pics you can see the distinctive spine groove). This has two extra characters preceding the Rifles symbol, which in this case is missing the top two acute accent style bars. ...? ...? Rifles 8(?)/48 :?: Shree tin Chandra
and both Chris and I have the remnants of these same markings on our Papu kukri. the double lines from the top of the Rifles symbol are still clearly visible.
If I were to take a guess at Chris’ inscription I’d say perhaps: Shree tin Chandra Rifles 1 / 53 ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:38 am 
Staff

Update for your records - the kukri formerly known as "the eBay kukri" is now "Berk's new kukri". :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:54 am 

That's a handsome piece Paul, well done on your first of the year!!

I think a lot of people realised the potential of these old warhorses for conversion to civillian users, which is why we see occasional pieces with horn handles. Having said that, I wonder what the etiquette was in the Royal Nepalese Army for NCO's to personalise their weapons?

Well done on your score too Berk!

These big kukri are obviously proving popular at the moment, I bought one this week too!!

I am impressed by you guys abilities to translate these kukris, I just can't get my head around it.

Attachments:
IMG_5852.JPG
IMG_5852.JPG [ 92.39 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]
IMG_5854.JPG
IMG_5854.JPG [ 58.84 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:14 pm 

Berkley wrote:
Update for your records - the kukri formerly known as "the eBay kukri" is now "Berk's new kukri". :D

Excellent acquisition Berkley, congratulations! I fancied that one myself :mrgreen:

mrcjgscott wrote:
I wonder what the etiquette was in the Royal Nepalese Army for NCO's to personalise their weapons?

I'd wondered the same thing, in fact I thought I'd raised that point in an earlier post but it seems not. Was the private purchase of kukri buy officers something that even happened in the Nepalese Army? Or was that practice exclusively a British Indian one?

mrcjgscott wrote:
These big kukri are obviously proving popular at the moment, I bought one this week too!!

I am impressed by you guys abilities to translate these kukris, I just can't get my head around it.

A great addition Chris, another for the First Rifles! I'd guess a translation as Shree tin Chandra Rifles 10/3 and the final numeral I'm struggling with but possibly 8.

It's the first time I've played with translating the script. I'm still very ignorant. Indeed a spent half an hour or so trying to figure out the first character on these (after the shree tin chandra bit) only to discover that the character was 'Dra' and that Chandra is written with two characters not one as I had previously thought! :lol: Thankfully most of the translations have already been done by others and it's just a case of recognising some symbols and piecing it together.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:30 pm 

Paul W wrote:

A great addition Chris, another for the First Rifles! I'd guess a translation as Shree tin Chandra Rifles 10/3 and the final numeral I'm struggling with but possibly 8.

It's the first time I've played with translating the script. I'm still very ignorant. Indeed a spent half an hour or so trying to figure out the first character on these (after the shree tin chandra bit) only to discover that the character was 'Dra' and that Chandra is written with two characters not one as I had previously thought! :lol: Thankfully most of the translations have already been done by others and it's just a case of recognising some symbols and piecing it together.

Many thanks Paul, I have attached another, hopefully clearer image!

The script is something I shall have to work on. There was a very good thread on inscription translation a while back, breaking down the characters to assist the uneducated like me, I shall have a hunt for it!

I wonder if these are the first markings placed on this kukri. The ones nearest the grip are lightly struck, in comparison to those of the longer inscription, which are deeply struck, possibly covering what was there before? The presence of file markings also seem to back this up.....

Attachments:
IMG_5853.JPG
IMG_5853.JPG [ 60.44 KiB | Viewed 1063 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:39 pm 

Excellent stuff chaps! really getting somewhere!