www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My new old tourist tat
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 pm 

Hi guys- I recently found these three tourist tat Kukris at some antiques sale and picked the lot up for £10. They were in pretty bad condition but I just wanted to use them as interesting garden and camping tools. I've already got a Cold Steel Kukri machete that makes a wonderful camping tool but these old Indian tourist ones have a much thicker blade so they might come in useful for something.

I fixed the loose handle on the worst of the two big ones by peening the tang in the lion head and then sharpened it. The blade was surprisingly hard steel and took some doing to get an edge but seems quite good. Probably made out of old leaf spring metal or something. I covered the handle in about three layers of Serious Glue which made for a nice rubbery grip. It's actually a pretty good chopper and holds an edge very well for what it is. It's a pretty good general camping tool.

I haven't done anything with the other two yet but the small rusty one is kind of cute so I might refurbish it a bit to take camping. I just like it because you don't see as many of the small ones anymore.

I know these are not PROPER good Kukri knives but they were cheap and are still pretty interesting as rather old touristy tat now. I like them so much I've been looking at proper ones online and was pleased to discover you can get some seemingly decent new ones for reasonable prices.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 265.01 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 246.79 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 265.73 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:15 pm 

I wouldn't risk heavy blows with the intialy, work up over time to sse they can survive, 999 out of 1000 will break or the handles disintergrate under heavy use.

Spiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:24 pm 

Since I had three of them to play with I sharpened the worst one of the lot and have been using it to cut brush and do some general upkeep in the overgrown back yard. It actually works very well. It does a much better job than the cheap and cheerful garden machete I was using and the blade really holds an edge. I didn't care if I broke it because I know it's just old touristy junk but it's kind of interesting for what it is anyway. I suspect these are some pretty old touristy knives by the condition of them. I've got two of the big ones so I can abuse one of them and see how it stands up. I know they'll never be worth anything but they are rather interesting anyway, and the design works very well for a general tool.

I've been cleaning up the small one and it looks much better. It's far too small to be any use as a machete or even a decent knife but as it seems to be made of really hard steel it also holds an edge quite well so it may have it's uses for some camping related things. It fits in the hand nicely and I think it would make a great general purpose camp cooking knife for preparing fish I've caught and things like that. It's got character. It's just an interesting little thing that I've not seen before. Maybe these small ones were never very popular in the tourist trade so there aren't many around. Anyway it was cheap enough I wouldn't be too bothered if I lost or broke it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:32 am 

Excellent! Kukri aficionados often say kukri keep traveling till they find the person there meant to be with... in this case that is clearly you.

If they are differentially hardened high carbon steel under the decorative Nickle plaiting, then you have found some true user kukri, that most of us would have overlooked as the reassembled every other bit of tourist tat!

Your a lucky man!

Happy chopping & Happy Christmas!

spiral