www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:27 pm 

Hello everyone. I have always been facinated by the Kukri but my knowledge journey has just begun. I picked up these three at a yard sale and don't appear to be anything special but I want to learn and add to my collection. Can anyone help me figure out what they are, and approximately what they're worth(curious if I got ripped off). The look old as the horn on the smaller one is brittle and loose. They both have the same lion head pommel but rivets are visible through the face unlike other ones I've seen. They are both dimples with "India" on the side of the blade and appear to be a set. No clue what the third knife is.

I appreciate any insight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 pm 

Hi there Mortysdaddy, welcome to the forum.

I'm very sorry, when I was approving your post I noticed that the photos were way too large. I wanted to copy them to shrink down myself, but instead I seem to have deleted them. If you could resize them to around 800 pixel width it'll make them easier to view.

The two kukri you picked up are referred to as Lions Head kiukri, for obvious reasons. They are the most common style of Indian made tourist kukri, intended entirely for decoration.

Pretty sure there's a thread somewhere I'll see if I can dig it up. Might be worth making a sticky Gents?

As for worth... well they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:54 pm 

Sorry, think that fixed it. I bought the lot sight unseen for $30. Didn't know if i got ripped off. I didn't realize they were Indian until after I bought them.

Attachments:
IMG_2175.JPG
IMG_2175.JPG [ 68.41 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2174.JPG [ 79.9 KiB | Viewed 175 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 pm 

Thanks for re.posting pix... The two kukri are probably 1970s or 80s export pieces to be sold very cheaply..... There neither weapons nor tools.

The other knife is not a kukri, but may be real, it appears to exhibit a differentialy hardend hamon zone... Although its not a kukri please feel free to share larger photos of it! {sorry if were running at cross purposes Paul, but large pics show details! It would be good id software fixed any pic, to full screen size but until that's sorted then I just use the browser button to enlage or reduce size to fit my screen... {I realise that may be tricky for the over 50s.... :lol: }

Spiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 pm 

I don't see the pics I resized and posted. Was there something wrong Paul ? I resized them to 600x800 I thought. Spiral, I'll try and take some closer pics when I get home tonight to let you see more of the third one.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:31 am 

I am not quite sure about it. But the knife looks so classic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:25 pm 

It does! Looking at it again I think its a rework of an old English carving Knife.

Spiral