www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 am 

Hey folks

Just registered to see if anyone can offer advice or pointers on who to get help from.

In essence my gran passed away at the end of last year and I have been given her old Kukri which has hung up on her wall for as long as I've been alive. Little is know about it's origins as my Grandad dies of polio shortly after my mum was born. We believe he picked it up at some point during or shortly after WW2 but frankly there's nothing to back that up.

Images can (hopefully!) be found here: https://goo.gl/photos/8JHfegFX8QWF3cFN6

It'd be great if anyone can offer pointers on if this thing is a practical Kukri or just a tourist gizmo that will likely collapse on itself if ever used. I'd like to have it restored to be used as a bush-style tool so be good to try to work out if it'd be worth doing. On that point if anyone knows of anyone who could restore the blade and craft a scabbard for it that'd be great.

For what it's worth I'm based in SW London on the Surrey border so ideally somewhere local-ish but that's not a prerequisite.

Cheers in advance for any help you folks can offer

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:19 pm 

Hi there & welcome,

Some good news, to my eye it looks Looks very likely to be ww2 ear private purchase from one of the many kukri factors or markets, selling to allied troops in garrison towns & hill stations in ww2 India.

It was made as a real working kukri.. Its rough & ready but has some points that show they were making a piece they thought was a goodun...

spiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 am 

Cool thanks so could be worth getting spruced up (for me at least!).

Now on to the next question...does anyone have any recommendations of companies or individuals who I could ask to refurbish the blade and craft a new scabbard for it?

Cheers in advance

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 pm 

Nice Kukri! Best clean the blade yourself; get some scotchbright (you know, the green stuff that they sell as pot scourers) and WD40. Let the WD40 soak in to the rusty bits and rub away. Change the scotchbright regularly, re oil and IN TIME you'll get a good result without ruining the original patina. I've seen Kukri ruined by over cleaning, grinding, sanding etc.
The scabbard should be retained as it's the original. If the wood is split, simply glue with a Bostick or Uhu type glue; wrap elastic bands round the scabbard to get a nice tight join. Also use the same glue to carefully stick down any loose leather covering.
Finally, use a good leather treatment on the scabbard, which will also help with dry wood. Remember, the more original, the more desirable!
I'm sure there are other ways to get a good result, but this is my method! Have fun!