www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:02 pm 

The latest acquisition has been sitting on my local antique dealer’s shelf for a couple of years but I finally succumbed last weekend. It’s of a type mentioned on this forum before: basically a reasonable quality bring-back/tourist kukri with a brass handle, good lion’s head and interesting stamp.

The blade is multi-fullered and nickel plated (I seem to remember that chrome plating was not common until relatively recently). There is a degree of corrosion but that is being treated with gentle rubbing down.

The kaudi is reasonable and sits below the one really interesting feature which is the ‘MSD ‘stamp (on which the jury is still out). This has been mentioned several times on the forum (search for ‘MSD’) but it’s the first I’ve seen in the wild. The blade has punched decoration in the angle of the dog leg, but is of a better quality that the usual punched ‘INDIA’ seen on so many blades.

The handle is surprisingly well executed and, on a plainer (i.e. non-plated, non-punch-decorated) blade would not shout ‘tourist’. The lion’s head is much, much better than the average of that type and more closely approaches the quality of the lion’s head on the Dehradun-made officer’s kukri I have shown before. You can actually see it’s a lion!

The karda (no chakmak) is the original, matching the kukri, with another nicely-executed brass handle. The sheath was of a quality similar to the KB Thakuris I’ve seen/owned, and has a matching decorated brass chape.

All in all, particularly with regard to the handle and lion’s head, the best tourist kukri I’ve seen.