www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 am 

As mentioned in my first post on here a few days ago, I've been drawn recently into the fascinating and complex world of Kukris and have just purchased my second Kukri after a little research so I thought I'd share it in the hope of learning more about it from the knowledgeable experts and collectors on here, so all comments and info much appreciated and welcome, thank you !

I believe its a WWII period Kukri, sometimes loosely described as the 'air-crew/tank-crew' type given its more compact size and very similar in style/manufacture to the larger M43/ M43 type?

Could someone please tell me a little bit more or correct me? Many thanks all !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 am 

Phew!

It is as you say a genuine short m.43 style kukri, known to have often been carried by aircrew, on occasion tank crew and indeed some chindits.

I suspect some were bought by units, particularly the us aircrew ones, others privately purchased.

Looking inside the frog Im guessing your may have been brown originally? Clearly scabbard was always without a chape.

Amongst the ones Ive seen over the years, The ones most often carried by US aircrew usually have a large steel chape, and the scabbard leather is mostly a light orange brown. Those from British sources or private purchase usually dont have the chape and are mostly black leather. But it does vary.

A nice example of the genre, nice to have the original frog with it as well.

spiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:49 am 

Phew! Thank you Spiral ! Would I be correct in surmising this was probably made in India?

I checked closely whether this was missing a chape when it arrived but there's none of the telltale signs on the leather etc which is a relief.

Unfortunately the frog leather, especially the straps has degraded and is flaking but I'm uncertain if anything can be done treatment-wise to slow up the rot. I know from my archaeology days that very old leather items are notoriously hard to stabilise once they degrade. What are your thoughts and tips please?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:16 am 

Definitely Indian made, I would guess Calcutta, but could be wrong....