www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:08 am 

Attachment:
DSC04393 (1024x768).jpg
DSC04393 (1024x768).jpg [ 639.83 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]

Hello - this is my first post on the forum but I have been reading and watching in the background. Highlander has pushed me to post a Kukri or two for comment.

Here are two recent acquisitions that may be of interest.

Top is a nice Box Kukri that was a bring back from WW1 by a Australian Soldier that was with the 10th Light Horse - I have the story and a photo of the soldier. How he got it is still a mystery but family lore has it that it was used once a year to cut the Christmas cake. Such a beautiful scabbard. The hilt is split but still attached. Seems like someone just hit something too hard and split the wooden hilt. I'm still resurching the history of the regiment and the individual. There were two brothers that bother served during WW1 with the 10th Light Horse.

Bottom is a kukri that I just picked up and I know Highlander likes it! It would appear to have had a brass butt cap added to the hilt by a single flat head screw. The brass chap also seems to be added later.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:04 pm 

Hi RAMBA thanx for your post ,2 very nice kukri you have there , and a nice piece of history with one of them , yes i like the Tin Chirra Kukri with what looks red paint thro the spine decoration. Lovely cut Kaudi , i would say an officers piece , might be from between the wars .,see what the other guys think of them .?
Regards
Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:04 pm 

Attachment:
DSC04392 (1024x768).jpg
DSC04392 (1024x768).jpg [ 328.5 KiB | Viewed 177 times ]

Here is the butt cap on the bottom kukri.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:48 pm 

Wow! Welcome! both very nice!

Love the bottom one in particular, definitely first quarter of 20th century... . Really do love it.. Could be c.1910 to c.1930. Commoner as highlander implies post ww1 but some were about during and before.

Inlaid Red paint or enamel on kukri and kora can be part of hindu religious ceremonies..

Most of the early provenanced wood scabbard pieces Ive seen are 20s or 30s, but I cant see anything, that could rule out ww1 era.. Have you examined the blade for lamination?

How sound is the provenance? is it prooveable? I have some pieces I believe the history of , but sadly cant be prooved..

If prooveable its a whole different ballgame.

Spiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:34 am 

Attachment:
DSC04317 (800x600).jpg
DSC04317 (800x600).jpg [ 273.27 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]
Here it the butt cap of the Box Kukri hilt and the blade. As for lamination I'm not sure but see close up of blade below.

Attachments:
DSC04406 (800x600).jpg
DSC04406 (800x600).jpg [ 317.52 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:47 am 

As to the provenance I have no reason to doubt the story that it came from Roy Albert Porteous of the 10th light horse Regt. However I do not have absolute proof in terms of a letter from Roy or diary entry etc. I know it came from a family that had handed the kukri down the line. I was also provided with a photograph of Roy Albert in 1959 with his wife a son/grandson. The seller got It from the family. I did ask for the family contact details so I could get in contact......

2391 Private Roy Albert PORTEOUS, a 22 year old Farmer from Gnowangerup, Western Australia. He enlisted on 15 February 1916; and subsequently Returned to Australia, 21 November 1916.

2392 Private Roy Edgar PORTEOUS, a 23 year old Farmer from Gnowangerup, Western Australia. He enlisted on 15 February 1916; and at the conclusion of the war Returned to Australia, 5 March 1919.

They would have joined the 10th Light Horse in Mesopotamia. I was told that Roy Albert brought it back but Roy Albert did not spend a long time deployed before returning to Australia when compared to his brother Roy Edgar.

I think it possible that either one could have brought it back. Adds to the confusion when they are both Roy!!

Short of a letter or note from a now deceased person telling the provenance it is impossible to prove.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 am 

Thank you..

Interesting, often the way with provenance, But sounds like you have more than most!

The sun rivet keeper in that style Ive only seen once before And that was on a kukri Id labal as late 19th very early 20 century.

All in all a great haul!

I cant see lamination in that photo... {But that doesnt mean there is or isnt.}

The brass buttcap may be a field modification.... if it is, it would imply ownership by non Indian or Nepali I would guess.

Nothing else I can add really... top kukris !

spiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:02 am 

There you go RAMBA its a great piece, sad i missed out on it as you know a year ago ,in a uk auction., went for another instead :wink: then u send me a pict from Australia on a site of the same kuk ,strange how things travel .
Anyway im so glad you got it and posted it up .along with your other one .congrats
Highlander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:07 am 

Yeah a real coincidence. That we thought that it was the second one like the one you had seen in UK then it was apparent it was the same one just now being sold in Aus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 pm 

Antique Kukri world is just a few hundred people, often see the same kuks in different collections over the years...

spiral