Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:34 am 

interested in your views on these two I found on catawiki.com

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/148 ... ue-stamped

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/148 ... d-scabbard

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 am 

Scott wrote:

ok... I can tell you buy 100 other people will read what I say....

The unmarked one could easily be ww2 and may have been carried by Gurkha or other Soldier.

The Marked one the odds are very much against it..... :wink:

spiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 am 

Another batch of suspect items from auctions I monitor, I have opinions of my own but have asked for more detailed photos as the site pictures are not very clear (by design I Guess).

Not really getting the display of patch knives/kadra/chakmak - not sure this would be in a museum

Enjoy -

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/57 ... ntent=item

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am 

Hi Scott , what question are you asking , ? I woudnt buy any of them , is it an American , Canadian auction house , just stay clear of it by the looks of things, Karda Chakmaks real , but a bit overpriced lol . :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am 

It was more am I right in they look suspicious?

Which you seem to have confirmeded.

They all looked questionable except the karda- I assume most people on this site know what a good Kukri looks and feels like. I’m still learning and all these don’t look that authentic to me - they look similar to the windlass kukri’s i’ve seen being sold as WII.

I’m sure one day I’ll find something authentic, it will probably be in a backstreet shop in England and not on the www

Anyway - I just placed an order with ACC - at least I know these aren’t made last week and the age will not be an issue 100 years old in most cases. It’s now just a matter of luck in what turns up in 14 days time and the UK customs don’t impound them as dangerous weapons.

Scott.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:56 am 

Scott wrote:
. It’s now just a matter of luck in what turns up in 14 days time and the UK customs don’t impound them as dangerous weapons.
Scott.

Currently UK customs view full size military kukri with 14 inch blades an non threatening.

Unlike 3 inch bladed lock knives or even slip joints that can be opened by gripping blade with thumb and forefinger and spinning in a centrifugal fashion....Which are viewed as dangerous and illegal and banned from import..{They bracket them as gravity knives...}

Of course new knife laws are coming in early next year......Then most likely Some knives will even be illegal to posses in your own home..

If the part of the proposed law banning sales to domestic rescidences comes in,,,, Good luck getting much through customs then...

Details of proposed laws.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/offensive-and-dangerous-weapons-new-legislation

Also New laws next year that will effect sale of Antique ivory hilted kukris knives etc..

More laws... less police.... The responsible face of the law and order party... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:53 am 

Just reading through that article and is it just me or does the term zombie knives ring alarm bells?
1. Does this mean that Zombies will be recognised in law. Will they be enshrined in the Equal opportunity laws?
2. Does this mean that the government know something about the existence of zombies and this is their way of breaking the news to the living population?
3. And the only serious part of my observations what does it mean? That's one very wide drag net.

Interesting read.
Captain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:26 pm 

Indeed..

For starters it means they want these to be illegal in your own house..{already illegal to sell or possess in public... no good reason defense..}

(a)a knuckleduster, that is, a band of metal or other hard material worn on one or more fingers, and designed to cause injury, and any weapon incorporating a knuckleduster;
(b)a swordstick, that is, a hollow walking-stick or cane containing a blade which may be used as a sword;
(c)the weapon sometimes known as a “handclaw”, being a band of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn around the hand;
(d)the weapon sometimes known as a “belt buckle knife”, being a buckle which incorporates or conceals a knife;
(e)the weapon sometimes known as a “push dagger”, being a knife the handle of which fits within a clenched fist and the blade of which protrudes from between two fingers;
(f)the weapon sometimes known as a “hollow kubotan”, being a cylindrical container containing a number of sharp spikes;
(g)the weapon sometimes known as a “footclaw”, being a bar of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn strapped to the foot;
(h)the weapon sometimes known as a “shuriken”, “shaken” or “death star”, being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more sharp radiating points and designed to be thrown;
(i)the weapon sometimes known as a “balisong” or “butterfly knife”, being a blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade;
(j)the weapon sometimes known as a “telescopic truncheon”, being a truncheon which extends automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to its handle;
(k)the weapon sometimes known as a “blowpipe” or “blow gun”, being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;
(l)the weapon sometimes known as a “kusari gama”, being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a sickle;
(m)the weapon sometimes known as a “kyoketsu shoge”, being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a hooked knife;
(n)the weapon sometimes known as a “manrikigusari” or “kusari”, being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a hard weight or hand grip;

Add to that gravity knives, flick knives, assisted opening knives and even slip joints and lock knives that can be openend by finger manipulation and centrifugal force. Which they wish to be stipulated in law, {customs doing this already.}

Then off course the dreaded zombie knives.... Which is currently defined in English law as a blade with (i) a cutting edge; (ii) a serrated edge; and (iii) images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence.

Although they may fine tune that description as well.

Many collectors are clearing out any knife etc that they dont wish to keep forever. Sales other than face to face will be difficult in future.

One hopes the glorious tory party who rejected women having the vote , the foundation of the nhs and a minimum wage, amongst other things, will make a sensible decision.... But of course on there past record.... no chance...

Spiral