www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:59 pm 

G'day guys!
I'm brand new here. My name is Michael and I'm from Australia. As you might guess, it's bloody hard as a budding (22-year-old) collector to get my hands on anything really good. I'm looking at getting some IMA Kukris as I have heard they are the real deal. I own three Kukris at the moment. I was hoping I could get some more info. Unfortunately you might have to laugh at me, as I do believe they are all produced just for tourists but thats all I have access to at present.

Anyway here we go!

1. Beautiful solid brass handles. Original owner picked it up in the late 70s in London.
2. Nice, big sturdy fella here. But has 'India' stamped in dots. Previous owner claimed roughly 50s/ 60s. Not sure.
3. An interesting little piece. Handles are all made from Ivory, a little beaten up. Beautiful scabbard. Small Kukri. Previous owner claimed late 19th or early 20th, but I would take a stab that it's more likely mid 20th?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S: I'm wearing shorts in the photos. I have a general rule not to handle Kukris in the nude. :lol:

Attachments:
23546979_10155835074193899_1528194158_o.jpg
23546979_10155835074193899_1528194158_o.jpg [ 171.73 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]
23557842_10155835074118899_59085536_o.jpg
23557842_10155835074118899_59085536_o.jpg [ 245.62 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]
23557824_10155835074043899_7867430_o.jpg
23557824_10155835074043899_7867430_o.jpg [ 231.82 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 pm 

Hi! Welcome!

You obviosly love the mystique of the kukri!

So youll be realy chuffed when you get a live one then! At the momment your on the warm up...

Yes there all tourist items, probably 70s 80s, the ivory one might be a little older, {50s maybe?} but its actually bone not ivory....

Many good kukri turn up in Australia, there out there...

spiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:09 am 

G'day Spiral, thanks mate! I'm a fan of your responses across the board, since I've been a reader but not a poster for a long while.

Can't get enough of the Kukri to be honest!

I actually just picked up the brass handled one very recently. And it cost me a fair bit. I'm thinking of returning it and putting the money towards getting a few from IMA. What would you suggest, they're about as legit as I can get right? Aside from it's visual appeal and the obvious appeal of all Kukris, is there anything special about the brass handled one that should compel me to hang on to it?

Shame to hear they're not as old as I thought, but I suppose everyone just passes on what they last heard.

The bone handled one is definitely a lot more curious than the others. Thanks for the appraisal!

I'll keep an eye out for more in Australia but it's hard to know where to look!

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 am 

Thank you! Some are fans of my approach, some arnt... :lol:

The brass one is better than most tourist kukris, possibly from a smaller workshop rather than a massive factory.

But I dont know anyone , who would pay a great deal for it.

How much did it cost?

spiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:24 am 

It cost me around $170 AUD, so around 100 British pounds.

Would I be better off returning it and putting the money towards IMA pieces?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:18 am 

Hi and a belated welcome from me.
You have heard from Spiral, so nothing to add of any information.
If you have the opportunity to get your buck's back then I personally would take it.
I have a couple few IMA and I think only one or two from Atlanta Cutlery. They are the real deal if a little optimistic on the 19th Century dating on most.
Where abouts in Oz are you?
A good few went home with the Anzac boys from both world wars so best of luck, it's a big continent. Try a cheeky advertising on social media.
Welcome again it's great to have more international interest.

Regards
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 pm 

Thanks Cap.

Yeah I'm sending it back tomorrow actually. I really like it, but long term I'd rather snap up a couple of IMA ones. Would you say it's worth the huge extra price to snag the long leaf with the scabbard:

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/origin ... 5652687813

rather than the much cheaper alternative in getting just the Kukri itself? (https://www.ima-usa.com/products/origin ... 5652686725)

And do you think it's worth the extra money doing the hand selection thing? People in the reviews seem to rate it!

I'm in Melbourne mate :)

Yeah for sure! Well I saw my first ever Kukri on display at an R.S.L club (like a pub/ place that serves returned servicemen/women and the public) about 8 years ago when I was 14 and I've been fascinated since. I'll keep searching the classifieds, but based on my experiences with ebay auctions, there are some very devoted collectors who are pipping my bids at every opportunity haha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:12 pm 

yep thats rather excessive price wise.....Hope postage doesnt slaughter the refund... Was it bought from UK?

Re longleaf and scabbards the odds are you get a dirty damaged battered scabbard, so personaly I would just get the kukri..

Good scabards are good to have and are worth ihaving, battered ones are just a pain realy, the add little to the value, and dont display well.

Others may view it differently. 8)

Spiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:34 pm 

Hi GlidingGoose , im with Spiral on the Scabbard thing .a good ones good , a crappy ones well crap ., try and ask for one with script on the spine or butt cap .you may get lucky
I have a couple of stunning Papu kukri , and a mint Phul Chap that came from them .all be it a friend hand picked the Phul Chap when he was over there .defo worth a shout .
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 pm 

I will stand by the last two on the scabbard front. Save your money on that and go hand picked option I have done so myself and been really pleased with the results. No Papu's for me but two interesting and genuine kuks.
We can't be trusted with fleabay here in the UK. So it's not us :roll:

All the best and I look forward to seeing how things pan out.
Please post as we always like to have fresh ideas.
Regards
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 am 

To Spiral:

Luckily (or unluckily) the Kukri wasn't really as described and was damaged on the back, so the seller will cover the return postage. The back of the scabbard is being held together by tape, which really miffed me because it wasn't mentioned at all on the listing. I picked it up from Australia so it'll only be $11 to get it back to him and I'll get that refunded along with the Kukri itself.

Thanks Highlander, I'll put it in my request to them!

Cheers Cap, and yeah, you can get all sorts on ebay. I was lucky enough to get that bone handled small kukri for around $30 a few years ago which I was very happy with.

So I had another question. Since I am shedding the scabbard on the longleaf, I was curious. Do you think the IMA stock has a better quality of the Bhojpure or Longleafs? I know they have only a few longleafs left, so I'm worried they'll be bottom of the barrel. IS that a fair worry or is the stock even to late 2017 still pretty good stuff?

Cheers,
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:26 pm 

While the very rarest pieces will have been picked out and sold privately, the probably 15,000 or so kukri each purveyor had, will have been well mixed up to enable selling for decades... These firms have run for decades... they work long term...

When there really at the end it will just be broken returns ....... until that point its worth a go... pay by credit card. :wink:

Id say they actually cleared out some real junk first as well..At high prices, claimed they had no scabbards etc....

But its pot luck... you may get a beauty you may get a junker... More people than not seem happy.....

spiral