www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:59 am 

Has anyone written an article on this topic, I seen some tips and warnings around over restored etc.

Looking for some guidelines as this is the owner preference, my only past experience is with classic cars something restored from an ID plate is not a Ferrari, something re-chromed and repainted is nice but has zero patina and has lost a lot of history.

I would like to save anything I get and the advice seems to be scotchbright , WD40 , a good Leather care food and baby oil.

Some mention autosolve - not sure if that is a good idea ?

Keep well away from grinders, belt sanders and other mechanical devices.

Just apply TLC.

The Only Fools and Horses reference to Trigger having the same broom for 25 years springs to mind, only 3 new heads and two handles !!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:57 pm 

Hi Scott , i think everybody has there own preferences , mines is autosol which doesnt affect the Patina on a blade .0000 wire wool
.,then a wipe down with mineral oil .
Some i use Renaissance wax on. Preserves the blade from rust and acidic finger prints .
I really enjoy this cleaning process , sometimes i tapke a couple days on a blade .
I kinda hate it when a pristine one shows up with no work to do lol :roll:
Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:07 pm 

My two pennies here then.
It very much depends on the individual Kukri. I would always want to stabilise it. Remove active rust and wood worm.
Patina takes years to come and seconds to remove so slowly slowly is always a good way to start.
I've used autosol and very fine wire wool. Nice and gentle.
I find myself doing less and less as I learn.
If in doubt post photos of before and ask the forum.

Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:46 pm 

One other question on putting an edge on the blade, what would you recommend ?

If you do not plan to use it and display them, would you leave if as is or just sharpen to show what it was capable of when it was used (prove it has and can old an edge) ?

If you plan to use them, would you recommend wet stones (working down the grades), oil stone (which is how I tend to sharpen chiseles) or some other method ?

Thanks,
Scott.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:59 pm 

Another cleaning method I use, is for 'rust scabs', those, hopefully, small areas of rust that project from the surface of the blade. I use an old jack knife, on which I keep a sharp tip. This I use to carefully pick off the nasty stuff prior to my Scotchbrite/WD40 treatment. This particular knife blade is, 99% of the time, softer than the Kukri blade and always harder than the rust. Result is rust 0, me 1.
If one has light surface rust on a nice chrome finish tourist blade, then full use can be made of a brass 'Hush Puppy' wire brush, again, brass being softer than the chrome, harder than the rust; alternatively, just throw the tourist blade away.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:56 pm 

Has anyone tried using the other renaissance products during the restoration process, they also make renaissance metal de-corroded and prelim non-scratch paste designed to remove oxidation ?

I found these products on a site www.conservation-resources.co.uk, was going to order some and test them out.

It also mentions the wax is good for leather, has anyone tried that?

Scott.

P.S If you celebrate it Happy Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:05 pm 

Hi Scott ive used the wax on leather .but i think good old boot polish or Dubbin do the job and less expensive ., as Captain said sometimes less is more :roll:
Highlander