www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:19 pm 

Cool ! Glad you like them.... I dont think a cobbler would be much help!

GlidingGoose wrote:

So my main interest is with the almost black handles. Before putting oil on them, is there a way to clean them up or is that their final colour? It's hard to know and I dont want to do anything to them I can't reverse. In the photos they appear a dark brown, but in real life they appear practically dark. My lamp makes them look brown because of the warm lighting.

Yep acetone and wire wool, Then baby oil to put the look of life back into hilt! Oil the blade as well.

Timber would have been reddish brown, soak in acetone, wire wool then baby oil. You might get some more reddish tones come through...

Spiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:44 pm 

Great stuff .couple of old beautys with the script .i love those RNA kukri all unique .

Post some picts up after you clean them please .
Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm 

Hi Michael,

Nice kukris! I cleaned mine up with acetone, (as others have already recommended) it's works very well and it's a relatively safe solvent.

Just thought I'd have a stab at translating the script on them.

The first piece says Shree tin cha ndra, then a U shape with a dot, it appears quite often though it's not a numeral or character of the alphabet. After that it says Ja and then what looks like Ga followed by the numerals 8/4. I can't find the list of battalions at the moment but Ja Ga should be easy enough to interpret when looking at a list.

Second one says Va Da 2/4 shree tin cha ndra

I'd like to see a clearer pic of the stamps on the third, starts with a 4 though :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:38 am 

Thanks @ Spiral. Yeah, I'm very happy. I was obviously a little nervous since the stuff has been for sale for over a decade. But I was really happy with my handpicked results.

Okay great, acetone and wire wool. So the acetone won't have any negative effects on the wood? I've heard that acetone and wood are a big no-no, or will the baby oil offset that worry? And lastly, that is just normal baby oil?

Thanks @Highlander. They really are. Even my two longleaf ones vary enormously, especially with the handle size. I'll post a much nicer selection when they're all cleaned up. Will definitely be taking my time with them though!

Wow, very interesting @Paul W! Once I have them cleaned up, I'll post some really clear images of the spine scripts for you ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:30 pm 

Hey, sorry to bump! But just this question in particular I wanted to double check before touching my Kukris:

Okay great, acetone and wire wool. So the acetone won't have any negative effects on the wood? I've heard that acetone and wood are a big no-no, or will the baby oil offset that worry? And lastly, that is just normal baby oil?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:52 pm 

The guys all say acetone is ok .and yes baby oil its just a mineral oil
Enjoy the cleaning .i find it theraputic :roll:
Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:55 pm 

Its strips finish of timber... oil puts it back...!