www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:15 am 

[attachment=0]DSCN0017.JPGI am new to the forum and recenty received a few Kukri knives. Im needing information on them. Ive done some research but not complete sure. Any help would be appreciated. I am wanting to sell some of them, but also keep a few. Here is some pictures of two of them. I have more but Ill start with these. The first one pictured has WSC stamped on it and then an arrow pointing to the tip of the blade and on the other side says India. The second one has no markings. Im wondering what they are worth because Im trying to decide if I am keeping them or selling them. I can post more pictures if necessary.

Attachments:
DSCN0017.JPG
DSCN0017.JPG [ 149.73 KiB | Viewed 1946 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:28 am 

I'm wondering about this knife. The leather case is very interesting and has a very tiny sticker that says made in india. The case is actually wooden covered in leather I believe. The knife has no marking I can see except the design on the top edge. The blade is pretty thick. Does anybody have any information they can give me. Thanks.

Attachments:
DSCN0024.JPG
DSCN0024.JPG [ 95.43 KiB | Viewed 1945 times ]
DSCN0023.JPG
DSCN0023.JPG [ 115.59 KiB | Viewed 1945 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:30 am 

I meant to also say Im looking to sell it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 am 

I am interested in selling this unique lion head Kukri. The dot pattern on the knife at the base actually spells india. Leather wrapped wooden case.

Attachments:
DSCN0025.JPG
DSCN0025.JPG [ 125.19 KiB | Viewed 1947 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm 
Staff

I have merged your three separate posts into a single topic. Only one of the four knives you inherited is a kukri, and it is not likely to reach many interested buyers on this small, specialized forum. The knife on the left in the first picture (WSC, ↑ , INDIA), is a kukri made by Windlass Steel Crafts of India. It is a type currently being made and sold by Atlanta Cutlery, among other vendors. The other curved knife in that picture is an Arab jambiya. The third knife is a modern Indian copy of an older Afghan style known as a salwar yataghan or Khyber knife/sword. The lion head knife is not a kukri, but rather a dagger made in India.
All of the knives are recently made and designed to appeal to the tourist or souvenir market, not advanced collectors. Your best chance of selling them would be through the larger sales venue of eBay.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I had listed these because I wasnt sure about them. I have more that I have found similar on the site with the markings that are true Kukri's. However, I wasnt sure what the ones I posted were. I figured they were "tourist" type, that were interesting. I appreciate your information. Ill get around to posting the good ones soon I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 pm 

I do have a question? When you say they are all recently made, how recent? I do know all of them are at least 25 or so years old. The man who past away that had them, had not collected for many years. (25 at least) His wife didnt even know this collection existed. They were stored away in the attic and according to her he hadnt been in the attic for at least 25 years, so she assumes he got them when he was overseas in the military. The blades on all of them are very good quality and extremely sharp, which confused me for "tourist" type.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Staff

These designs have been on the market for some time. It would not surprise me if they were made in the 1980s, which to some of us is recent. :lol:
Look forward to seeing your other kukris.