www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blunderbuss
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:08 pm 

I picked this interesting piece up last week, from a retired Gent in my town, who has already supplied me with a couple of Kukris. It came with a WW1 Royal Navy gunsight, a old percussion double barreled sporting gun, converted from flintlock and a late 18thC hunting crossbow.
I realised that it was not completely of English origin and I suspected possible Indian manufacture. I removed the barrel yesterday and there was an English looking set of initials in a rectangle, stamped under the stock end but also two Nepalese no. 4s (you know, a bit like an 8 with the top right quarter missing).
I believe the stock to be rosewood, which, again, points to Indian, or thereabouts, for its origin.
Or do you have any other ideas??

Post subject: Re: Blunderbuss
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:12 pm 
Staff

Very cool - I have always had a desire to own a blunderbuss. That one looks beautiful :mrgreen:
Here's an illustration of the Royal Nepalese armoury in Kathmandu c. 1864. What's that on the extreme right? - a blunderbuss :!:

Attachment:
Kathmandu Royal Arsenal c 1864.jpg
Kathmandu Royal Arsenal c 1864.jpg [ 587.17 KiB | Viewed 493 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:56 pm 

Great photo Berkley, thanks! Maybe one day I'll get to fire this beast. The gun laws over here are a little complicated, but I can own this gun without a licence, as it is an 'Antique Firearm' (over 100 years old), but if I intend to shoot it, I would need a licence. If this gun was an exact copy, in every detail, but newly made, I would need a licence to just own it.
This is another little Blunderbuss I own; it's not much bigger than a pistol!

No one seems to know what these stamps on the barrel are:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:39 pm 

Hi Dave,

Loving that first example. The inset silver wirework make me think it may possibly be French. Is that a brass flash pan?

The markings on the other piece look like Jaipur armoury marks, google will probably throw up some similar markings. It may be worth a post or two on the Viking Sword Forum.

All the best,

Chris

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:48 pm 
Staff

I posted the Royal Arsenal photo on the IKRHS Facebook group.
Mr. Bardan Shumsher Thapa, a student who is a resident of Kathmandu, referred to the group by VK Kunwor, made the following comments:
“Yes , they are kept at Basantapur Durbar . Underground arsenal. They are kept under Hanuman Dhoka museum . it's not possible [to visit], one big problem caused by 2072 earthquake . The museum inchargers don’t take it out, they take it out only during Dashain festival to worship these weapons. Yes it would be wonderful to see in high resolution but the museum inchargers dont allow we individuals.”

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:38 pm 

Berkley wrote:
I posted the Royal Arsenal photo on the IKRHS Facebook group.
Mr. Bardan Shumsher Thapa, a student who is a resident of Kathmandu, referred to the group by VK Kunwor, made the following comments:
“Yes , they are kept at Basantapur Durbar . Underground arsenal. They are kept under Hanuman Dhoka museum . it's not possible [to visit], one big problem caused by 2072 earthquake . The museum inchargers don’t take it out, they take it out only during Dashain festival to worship these weapons. Yes it would be wonderful to see in high resolution but the museum inchargers dont allow we individuals.”

Thanks Berkley,

Very interesting. It seems that museum curators the world over are the same way. I wonder what sort of academic credentials would help one to gain access to such items?

I am pleased that the IKRHS Facebook page is attracting lots of new blood. I hope that those new faces will be seen over here too. My main concern regarding facebook is that such information as you have shared above will be lost in the ether to a certain extent, as there would be no way to accurately store and search for the information.

The best thing about IKRHS is the Twelve or so years worth of knowledge we have accumulated, and continue to add to. It is a constant source of information, and I usually find answers to questions before I have to ask them.

I do hope we can find a way to keep what we already have, so that we can build on it in the future.

Kind regards,

Chris