www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:13 pm 

A selection of photographs taken at Dunkirk, France, May/June 2015. First up is the BLUEBIRD OF CHELSEA, entering the docks in Dunkirk as part of the 'Little Ships' flotilla from Ramsgate, Kent, England. This boat had recently been in my local Yacht Harbour for repairs and I was lucky enough to go on board. The Bluebird was built for landspeed record holder, Sir Malcom Cambell, in the 1930's.

Next is a view of the Bluebird in the Harbour:

This one is of the famous MTB 102:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:19 pm 

Next up are a couple of the Vehicles which made up our convoy: A Norton 16H 500cc Side Valve, followed by a very rare Ford WOC 1 Radio Truck. All the vehicles were types that would have been at Dunkirk in 1940.

This is a line up of our Motorcycles, who did an excellent job of Convoy control, together with the outstanding French Police. This is outside Dunkirk Cemetery
.Image

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:32 pm 

Ok, three of the Veterans whom attended the Celebrations;

This Veteran was a Dispatch Rider at Dunkirk. He is 95 years old and desperately wanted to ride the Norton! He had a kiss from one of our groups' young girls, who was in Uniform and the press had a field day, the photos were all over the British newspapers the next day. My friend is the Officer standing to the rear of the Norton and I'm (just in shot) to the right, holding the Veterans Umbrella/walking stick. It was a real privilege to meet this Gentleman AND he remembered us from 5 years before!

This is the Duke of Kent inspecting the Guy Ant. He is a massive vintage car/motorcycle enthusiast and had never seen a Guy Ant before. The chap on the far right is Rex Cadman, who used to run the UKs War and Peace Show. This is in the square in Dunkirk, outside the Town Hall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:42 pm 

Finally, the Guy Ant in a line up of our vehicles; Rare Wolseley to the left, Austin K3 Ambulance to the right. Note umbrellas in the gun racks...

My mate with one of our young ladies! Compulsory Umbrella as sun shade; well we are British you know......

Last of all, the huge beach at Dunkirk, which runs for miles, in appropriate weather.....a very thought provoking and powerful place.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:00 pm 
Staff

I am enjoying them tremendously - what wonderful images, full of delights to gaze upon at leisure. Thank you! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:34 pm 

Brilliant pictures Dave, thanks for sharing them!

I love the dispatch rider, my Grandfather served as one with the Black Watch in Singapore. He made it out by the skin of his teeth, and with a Japanese Bullet in his head. He wound up with a metal plate in his head, and a bad temper!

All the best,

Chris