www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:16 am 

I purchased a reproduction kukri socket bayonet from Atlanta Cutlery and I also had the opportunity to compare my reproduction to a original Kukri socket bayonet.To the educated eye or even the semi-educated eye it should not be any problem to recognize the reproduction
for what it is, but for the uneducated it could be a difficulty.
Here are some of my observations-
My reproduction has a blade length of 16 5/8 inches, the original had a blade length of 14 inches, but I have seen pictures of some with a blade length of 17 inches. The socket of the
reproduction is welded to the blade, on the original the blade and socket are made from one piece of steel. The checkering or large knurling on the reproduction socket is done evenly
by machine while the original is done by hand. The slot on the socket for the musket's
front sight on the reproduction is cut by machine wial the original appears to be again cut
by hand. On the reproduction there is no stamp that states made in India only a easily
removable sticker saying made in India.
Both will fit quite nicely on a vintage Brown Bess musket.
These are just a few easily noticable differences if anyone can see anything else be my
guest to comment.

Attachments:
P1010234.JPG
P1010234.JPG [ 37.46 KiB | Viewed 3622 times ]
P1010227.JPG
P1010227.JPG [ 35.4 KiB | Viewed 3622 times ]
P1010223.JPG
P1010223.JPG [ 32.21 KiB | Viewed 3622 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:50 pm 

It is great to see comparisons like this. What annoys me with reproductions like these is the following: There is nothing wrong in making reproductions and selling them as such. However, why just a removable sticker? Why not mark them with a distinct mark that will make it impossible for others to resell them as genuine?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:59 pm 

Nice original Chupri bayonet Ted, can you do close ups of the cartouches & inscriptions please? I expect Beoram could translate the date etc.

Spiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:07 am 

I will try to get a picture of the reproduction markings posted in the morning. I have a copy
of a article by J.A.Carter Gurkha Socket Bayonets. He shows two line diagrams of Kukri
socket bayonets, one has the same inscription my reproduction bayonet has. It translates
to The Foundry of the Gorkha Lion Platoon. The article was printed in Gun review December of
1976. I will try and get pictures of the original kukri socket bayonet in the future, the owner
lives in Salem about 40 miles north of me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:01 pm 

Here is a picture of both inscriptions on the reproduction and the original. The original may be
a little difficult to read, if so I will try to get another picture in the future.

Attachments:
P1010230.JPG
P1010230.JPG [ 39.64 KiB | Viewed 3589 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 pm 

Thanks Ted, one can clearly see the differences in quality & style between the originals & the modern copys, sadley in a few years time I expect many will have been rusted up & sold as originals to those who dont research thouroughly befor buying.

spiral