www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:15 pm 
Staff

I had a very pleasant chat with IMA, and they have revised their website so that the "Mk IV" designation on their website has been changed to Mk II. I think I would go crazy if I were allowed to run free in their warehouse. Totally off topic, but I want to show off my newest toy. This is one of the untouched Francotte pattern Martini Henry rifles from IMA. All markings in Nepali, including a rear leaf sight graduated in Nepali numerals. 8)
Image.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:02 pm 
Staff

Can anyone decipher the markings on the buttstock?

Attachments:
My Martini butCU002.jpg
My Martini butCU002.jpg [ 227.88 KiB | Viewed 4202 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:47 pm 

Excelent Berk! It rather shows that the Nepalese Broad arrow markings dont particularily imply anything to do with Brit. army. Also it perhaps helps explain font differences etc. to usual Brit. Indian army marks.

I wonder if its copied more as a power symbol? Rather than just because Brit issue carry such marks? I think the use of the broad arrow marking goes back to the viking weapons as a power symbol of the gods as well I recall? Funny if it went full circle.

Spiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:45 pm 

Hi guys, Beoram will probably be around soon to give a proper translation but I'll give it my amateurish best:

In the top set of characters, the first ones are faded, the second character looks like "ma" I'm taking a wild guess that the word is "ram" as the faded characters could be "ra" and "aa" - wild guess guys, could just as well be "sha" instead of "ra" which would make the word "sham" or "shyam" - another name common in Hindu South Asia - please remember, I'm guessing here!

Below this is the numerical 3. Below this, again, I am not too sure as it is faded, looks like "ra" again or could be "ya," also looks like there may be another character on there, a "matra" or a "bindu" not sure, perhaps I'm seeing things where there are only scratches!

Below this, numbers again = 20.

Hope this is helpful.