www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:25 am 
Staff

I have seen several interesting "folk art" stock markings showing up in various forums on guns from the Nepal cache. They are all crudely drawn and hard to interpret, since they could be mere graffiti, or taken from Buddhist, Hindu, or animist iconography, or some combination. I have seen a couple of fish (one of the Eight Auspicious Signs of Buddhism) on Sniders on the British Militaria Forum, and some type of image on a Martini-Henry on Gunboards. I have a Brunswick smoothbore
with a crude mandala and something carved on the right buttstock.

I think if people look closely in good light at their Nepalese guns that more of these folk art images would be found. They are just harder to see, and almost impossible to interpret, compared to the official British and Nepalese markings. I believe they were most likely some kind of icon or mandala, probably carved by a soldier as an invocation for protection, strength, courage etc.
Any information or observations would be most welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm 

Excellent stuff Berk! ties in so much with kukri as well, the crude square Prithvi Mandala representing the earth is found on many kukri scabbards, here's one example...

Many scabbards are made with it but a few seem to have it put on somewhat later I've sometimes thought. I believe I've seen it on more Indian scabbards than Nepalese but once again it shows the religious importance of many of the marks we find as well on kukris or indeed all Hindu weapons.

The second mark you show is interesting, I had it on an so called "Armoury" type Angh khoala silver plated steel handled kukri I let go about 8 or 9 years ago. I don't think I have any photos of it but will check the most likely files when time allows. As I recall it had that mark instead of the crescent, but with 2 or 3 dots as well near it.

Spiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:31 pm 
Staff

Berk...Your image has disappeared for me..is it just my computer.Cheers Rod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:40 pm 
Staff

Its back!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:40 pm 
Staff

Spiral wrote:
The second mark you show is interesting, I had it on an so called "Armoury" type Angh khoala silver plated steel handled kukri I let go about 8 or 9 years ago....As I recall it had that mark instead of the crescent, but with 2 or 3 dots as well near it.
Interestingly enough, this just appeared being offered by a UK seller, Image
who notes "THERE ARE SOME ORNATE TRIBAL DESIGNS IN THE SPINE OF THE BLADE AS IN THE PICS WHICH MIGHT MEAN SOMETHING TO AN EXPERT ???". Wish I was one :oops: .

Also, here's the Martini-Henry marking I mentioned, on the forestock:
and a fish carved on the buttstock of an as-found Nepalese three-band Snider rifle:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:46 pm 

Excellent Berk, once again fishes we often see on Kothimara kukri as well, very auspicious!

Fascinating to see another kukri in that style, 8) looks like it was recently acid etched to see if it was damascus as it shows the hardening line.

I do wonder what the sign means, but no doubt another symbol of one of the gods or something else to gain protection & well being I am sure, I expect some evidential source will turn up sooner or later.

Many of the symbols on kukri etc. & no doubt rifles are to prevent the malignant spirits who are attracted to weapons of death taking up residence.

Spiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm 

And again this one was posted over at SFI by Benjamin last year...

on this thread linky...

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=96196

Spiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:50 pm 
Staff

Spiral,
Thank you very much for directing my attention back to that thread - I had passed over it too hurriedly when it was posted, and failed to remember or fully understand much of what Benjamin wrote. As for the picture of the kukri markings, I suppose it could be just a coincidence - but I doubt It!
Attachment:
Brunswick & kukri marks.jpg
Brunswick & kukri marks.jpg [ 77.35 KiB | Viewed 8619 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:31 pm 
Staff

The latest folk art sighting, posted by forum member Johnny Yuma on the British Militaria Forum. This from the butt stock of an East India Company percussion musket found in the Nepal cache:
Attachment:
Nepal folk art EIC musket.jpg
Nepal folk art EIC musket.jpg [ 75.99 KiB | Viewed 8077 times ]

He reports another fish on a similar musket.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:39 am 

Excelent Berk!

Looks like the lotus symbol we find on some kukri scabbards.

Looks like another well known & powerfull symbol in both Hindu & of course Buddhist religions, widley used in Nepal & india. {To my eye anyway.]

Spiral

Attachment:
flower kukri.JPG
flower kukri.JPG [ 13.7 KiB | Viewed 8065 times ]

Attachment:
flo1 kukri.JPG
flo1 kukri.JPG [ 18.28 KiB | Viewed 8065 times ]

Attachment:
flojj.jpg
flojj.jpg [ 4.08 KiB | Viewed 8065 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:16 am 
Staff

Another symbol has been posted on Gunboards, this one on the buttstock of a Nepalese Brunswick rifle:
Attachment:
Brunswick butt star design.jpg
Brunswick butt star design.jpg [ 155.14 KiB | Viewed 7994 times ]

Identified thanks to Gunboards contributor mowen as a shatkona:
Attachment:
Shatkona.jpg
Shatkona.jpg [ 334.81 KiB | Viewed 7994 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:52 pm 

Great stuff Berk, fascinating further evidence of the religous/spiritual meanings of these symbols we find on Nepalese arms of all sorts.

Its not a gun but heres an interesting folk marked military style scabbard with a typical ww2 Darjeeling style kukri.

Strange the chape staple seems to be on the front as well.

Spiral

Attachments:
kukrilarge.jpg
kukrilarge.jpg [ 21.75 KiB | Viewed 7948 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:57 am 
Staff

And this recent sighting at the Gurkha Museum:

Attachment:
Gurkha Museum kora.jpg
Gurkha Museum kora.jpg [ 653.82 KiB | Viewed 1086 times ]