www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:04 pm 
Staff

The top inscription appears on a Nepalese bayonet for an EIC Type F percussion musket; the bottom is one of the so-called "kukri" bayonets. A character-by-character comparison shows the two inscriptions to be identical save for the numerals at the end.
Would greatly appreciate any and all assistance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:30 pm 

3 main inscriptions turn up on the chupri bayonets according to my research Berk, yours is one of them....

It is 'Shri Gorakhnath Sahay' Written in old Sanskrit .

Which I understand means something like "Lord Gorkanath Helps" Guess it was for doing Gods work! :shock:

I am sure our Nepali & Indian speaking forumites & translaters can offer more & further insights though..

What does the bayonet look like overall?

Spiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:39 pm 
Staff

Spiral,
Many thanks for the translation.
The chupri bayonet in the picture is Ted Fitzwaters', which I stole from an earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=527 . The other inscription is from this EIC musket bayonet
which belongs to Johnny Reno, which is being discussed at http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/11207 .
Berk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:51 am 

Spiral's translation is more or less correct. It's not Sanskrit though, or not exactly, but Nepali (it's true that sahaay is a Sanskrit word, but it's also a Nepali word, and if this were actually Sanskrit sahaay would have to have some sort of ending/suffix). It is highly Sanskritic Nepali (and regular Nepali would require some sort of postposition in here (between Shree Gorakhnaath and sahaay) like ko, since the modern Indo-Aryan languages don't form compounds like this).

Sahaay also is a noun and not a verb, so it's more like "aid of Shree Gorakhnaath" or "helper of Shree Gorakhnaath".

[The Sanskrit etymology of sahaay is probably saha- "with" + -aya- "going", and thus originally meant "companion" (someone who "goes with" you), with an extended meaning of "helper", "assistant".]

So I think perhaps the intent of the inscription is that the bayonet is a tool ("aid") of Shree Gorakhnaath.

[Sorry I haven't been by recently; I've been busy with dissertation stuff (which, alas, concerns not Nepali but mainly Sinhala (a language of Sri Lanka). But they're related languages (both Indo-Aryan).

If anyone needs more translation help, do drop me a line ( beoram@gmail.com works) and point me to the relevant posting here.]