www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:19 am 
Staff

Spiral's post in the main kukri forum on Historically Important Photographs reveals an interesting rifle.
Attachment:
Sri 3 Chandra rifle.jpg
Sri 3 Chandra rifle.jpg [ 325.65 KiB | Viewed 2747 times ]

The caption reads: "Sri 3 Maharaja Chandra Shumsher talking to foreign guests on the crowning day of Tribhuvan as King [February 20, 1913]". Sri 3 Chandra is wearing a large feathered crown at center of picture, next to two children. A soldier in a Nepalese Army uniform on the left of the picture is apparently a bodyguard, and is carrying a bolt action rifle which does not appear to be a Lee Enfield. Can anyone identify the mystery rifle?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 pm 

Way out on a limb here Berkley but it reminds me of the 1897 Mausers bought by the Boers in South Africa? So while probably not that, Some private purchase variation Mauser perhaps?

Spiral

Attachments:
hhhhhhhhhh.JPG
hhhhhhhhhh.JPG [ 48.94 KiB | Viewed 2737 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:40 am 
Staff

I have seen a photo from the Nepal Army Museum in Pokhara which shows several long guns in addition to Lee Enfields: a lever action Winchester - and a bolt action Mauser. No doubt Chandra's elite bodyguards got the best available weapons. U.S. Secret Service agents carried Uzis and now FN P90s, neither one standard U.S, issue. The soldier with the Mauser also has that same "look", scanning the crowd, not looking at Chandra.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm 

No doubt about being a Mauser. I'm no expert, but I kind of suspect an 1895 Spanish carbine type. It's kind of a hunch more than anything. It appears to have the white metal bolt and handle, along with a straight/non-bent bolt handle. It's also nice and slim. It would have been an excellent weapon at the time and was widely used IIRC. It's cocked and his hand appears ready to swing it around into action. I agree he has that look of expecting trouble. There's really no standard for US law enforcement/protective agencies. Each has their own procurement, as I assume other country's LEAs do as well. Even the military, which loves to standardize, has the ability to procure different things for special groups. I might have chosen a C96 Broomhandle Mauser for protective work myself, but that's a big spread out crown. I guess a good khukuri and that Mauser would handle everything from a knife attack to counter sniper action. Interesting pic and topic. Thanks for sharing it Berk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:16 am 
Staff

Here we see an interesting juxtaposition of weapons.
A Rana heir has his choice of Mauser or SMLE bolt action repeaters for sport:
Attachment:
Rana rifles.jpg
Rana rifles.jpg [ 371.46 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

An ordinary Nepalese soldier has one shot, a bayonet and a kukri:
Attachment:
Nepalese army 20th C..jpg
Nepalese army 20th C..jpg [ 305.09 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

Nonethless, guess who goes in first to make sure the quarry is really dead:
Attachment:
Nepalese leopard hunt.jpg
Nepalese leopard hunt.jpg [ 426.44 KiB | Viewed 2703 times ]

A classic example of the Golden Rule: those who have the gold make the rules. :lol: