www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Nepalese "Brown Bess"
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:49 am 
Staff

A long-dreamed-of acquisition has suddenly materialized - a nearly complete Nepalese flintlock musket from the Lagan Silekhana arsenal. Missing only the brass buttplate, (long ago stripped and sold for scrap), it has condition issues that will present challenges probably beyond my ability to restore. For now I am content to clean and conserve, mindful of the adage that "it's only original once". And, of course, it cries out for a chupi bayonet. 8)
Attachment:
Gurkha Bess.jpg
Gurkha Bess.jpg [ 855.73 KiB | Viewed 2829 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:19 am 
Staff

Well done Berk, your collection of Arms continues to grow ! Rod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:12 pm 
Staff

As always, the Nepalese arms which have been untouched for generations can hold some surprises. The lock of this musket yielded one such apparent mystery. The "flint" which has been secured in the jaws of the musket's cock for all this time is in fact merely a piece of wood, carefully shaped like a flint and held in place with a piece of fabric. In Treasure Is Where You Find It, Christian Cranmer recounts having found 1,300,000 original British musket flints in a basement of Lagan Silekhana, where the muskets were also stored. Why, I wondered, would someone have gone to the trouble of making a wooden facsimile of something that was available in such abundance?
Attachment:
lock CU.jpg
lock CU.jpg [ 548.72 KiB | Viewed 2811 times ]

Thanks to Bill Curtis and other helpful members of the British Militaria Forum I learned the answer:
Quote:
The wooden flint was standard practice in the British Army for training and drill purposes and was known as a "Driver".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:54 am 
Staff

Notice anything new?
Attachment:
Brown Bess complete.jpg
Brown Bess complete.jpg [ 621.07 KiB | Viewed 2748 times ]

8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 am 
Staff

From the point of view of the ultimate consumer. :lol:
Attachment:
bess bayo muzzle.jpg
bess bayo muzzle.jpg [ 794.54 KiB | Viewed 2724 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:23 pm 

Berk, you have an amazing collection of Nepal militaria! I've wondered about this curved bayonet and if it caused the rifle to torque down. I'm probably overthinking it since I've never bayonetted anyone :lol: Anyway, you have a wonderful collection. I'll definitely have to visit your museum when my toddler gives me a break. Take care.