www.IKRHS.com

The International Kukri Research & Historical Society
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EIC Type F musket
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 am 
Staff

Here is the East India Company's last smoothbore, before the P-1853 Enfield pattern rifle musket ( and its supposedly unclean cartridges) changed history in several ways.
Attachment:
EIC Type F.jpg
EIC Type F.jpg [ 459.74 KiB | Viewed 3889 times ]

Post subject: Re: EIC Type F musket
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:39 pm 
Staff

This photo c. 1857 shows a group of Gurkhas armed with EIC Type F muskets.
Attachment:
Gurkhas 1857 EIC F.jpg
Gurkhas 1857 EIC F.jpg [ 503.43 KiB | Viewed 3852 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:52 pm 
Staff

Thanks Berk, The Guy on the ground is showing what might be a Lambendh , certainly long handle ! Rod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 pm 
Staff

Yes, indeed - and in a scabbard with a proper military frog. Have you ever seen one like that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 am 
Staff

No I have not, so wonder if the Scabbard was meant for something elso , or at least the frog!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 pm 

The possible Lambendh certainly has a much longer handle. While not very scientific :lol: , measuring the handle on my screen shows it's about 10mm, while the other visible khuk handle appears only about 7 mm. It seems khukuri standardization has never been easy. Take care.

ETA: These guys must not all be Gurkha as most seem pretty tall. There are a couple which match the short, stocky description often given them, but the others are as tall as the Brit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 pm 
Staff

Quote:
[I]t is worth remembering that Gurkha units were often far from wholly 'Gurkha', and often included Garwhalis, Kumaonis, Newars, Sirmuris etc.
"The Gurkhas and Kukri from 1835-1858 - Indian Mutiny Part One", Simon Hengle, Torabladesforum.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 pm 

That article came to mind when I noticed the size difference between the troops. I found it fascinating that the British would specify percentages for the different ethnicities in units. That unit seems really short on Gurkha. Are Garwhalis, Kumaonis, Newars, and Sirmuris from Nepal as well, or are they spread across the Indian subcontinent? Take care.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 am 
Staff

Attachment:
Hepal & Indian Himalayas.jpg
Hepal & Indian Himalayas.jpg [ 509.77 KiB | Viewed 3825 times ]

The Garhwali people are from the northwestern Garhwal Division of the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand in the Indian Himalayas. Kumaoni are people from the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand, India. Uttarakhand is located on the western end of Nepal. Sirmur (also spelled Sirmoor) was an independent kingdom in India, founded in 1616, located in the region that is now the Sirmaur district of Himachal Pradesh, to the west of Uttarakhand. The Newars are the people of Nepal's Kathmandu Valley.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:56 pm 

Hi Berkley,

First time I've ventured into this section of the board, I must say you have a superb collection of antique firearms!

I wanted to ask if you knew what bayonet they used on these rifles?

I have an EIC 1838 pattern that was part of a bundle of edged weapons and bayonets that I bought (in order to get my hands on a single kukri!). I'd love to know if it was the same type on display in that wonderful photo. I'm guessing it's a bit early and was superseded by another design?

It has 33 stamped on the scabbard, any idea what that would relate to?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:16 pm 
Staff

Paul,
Thank you for the kind words. We don't get a lot of action down here in the firearms department, so I just noticed your post. I am by no means a bayonet collector, but I believe your bayonet is designed for the EIC Model F musket. You might try comparing it with the illustrations on IMA's website: LINK. Afraid I haven't any idea about the markings. :oops:
Berkley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 am 

Many thanks Berkley. The bayonet certainly looks like a very close match to the pics on the IMA site. I'm not a bayonet collector either, but I might hold on to this one now.